Sunday, March 15, 2009

Now that it's all over....

Well, it's been about seven months since the wedding and I found there were a few things that I would've changed if I could go back and do it again. Things I would do differently: Invitations, programs, reverend, cake, some of the decorating aspects, and the dress.

Invitations: When I started making these I thought they were great, that is until I started looking at other DIY invitations that other brides were making. Some of them were so amazing and creative, you couldn't tell that they were DIY. I also made my own envelopes which ended up being more of a pain in the butt than expected. In the end, I wish I would've done them differently and more creatively.

Programs: I didn't really care for our programs but I left them as one of the last things we did so we ended up working on them up until the day before the wedding. We freaked out over nothing because we didn't even need all the programs that we had made. It would have been just a lot less stress if we hadn't of worried so much about them.

Reverend: I like to call him the Rent-A-Rev, he was just horrible. I got his name from the list of officiants at the courthouse and he was the worst $75 I ever spent. I met with him about 7 months before the wedding and gave him a word for word copy of the ceremony. We emailed occasionally whenever I had changes and met again in person a week before the wedding. We finalized the ceremony with only a couple of changes that he suggested and then went over the whole thing again. When I asked about what he would wear, he said that he had a black suit with a red tie that he wears with it. We discussed changing the tie color because I didn't want the red tie to clash with the burgundy and orange wedding colors. He said he would either wear black or the darker red tie he had and I said that would be fine. He also said that he would arrive at the wedding by at least 4:30 pm for our 5:00 ceremony. Well, he ended up not showing up to the rehearsal dinner because he was busy and didn't show up for the wedding until 4:55, that's five minutes before the ceremony!! I was totally freaking out and livid! I had been calling and calling him when I found out that he wasn't there yet and thought that we weren't going to be able to get married. So we finally got the ceremony going and was not happy when I saw him standing in front of us at the alter. He was wearing tan slacks, black pleather jacket and a red striped tie, which was nothing near what he was supposed to wear. He looked like a used car salesman! Then he began stumbling through the ceremony like he had never before seen the piece of paper that he was reading from. Seriously, he had it for months and I would assume that you would practice doing the ceremony before you did it. At one point my hubby and I looked at each other and started laughing because it was so bad. He started adlibbing crap in when he got too nervous to remember to read from the paper and one part of the ceremony consisted of him holding up ours rings and saying, "This rings are awesome! You should see these, you'll have to get pictures of them later." OMG! Then it started raining and instead of wrapping it up he decided to read slower than molasses and I almost told him to skip to the I DO's. It was a slow painful death and we were so glad when it was over. You can bet that he didn't get any good reviews from me.

Cake: The cake ended up okay but definitely not what I had envisioned. I think I would've made sure that she knew exactly what I wanted especially the grooms cake. It was two police cars and we actually only got one because it got destroyed during the transportation to the wedding. The one that survived did not look anything like it was supposed to and I was so dissappointed in how it turned out because it was a surprise for my husband. At least it tasted good....

Decorating: There are definitely some things I wish I could change. I wish we would've gotten the lights put inside the paper lanterns we hung but we just ran out of time. I should've made sure that everyone had put enough water in all the bowls and cylinders because some of the flowers caught fire from the floating candles when they were lit. I wish that I would've some lighting on the candy buffet table because I don't think everyone knew that it was there once the lights were out. We had a nacho cheese fountain at the reception which would've been just awesome if they had turned it on when I asked them to. The caterer was supposed to turn it on after we cut the cake but he had turned it on before the ceremony to test it out and left it on. It looked so good then but by the time the reception came the cheese had started to thicken up and did not run smoothly like it was supposed to. Everyone enjoyed it and said it tasted great but I was kind of upset about it because it was my husband's one major request for the reception. I also would've made sure the caterer gave us the final total much earlier but he kept stalling on telling me how much it was, we didn't know the final cost until after the reception had started.

Dress: I definitely would've checked around more for a dress that I loved instead of just finding a nice one that was cheap. I liked it at the time but looking back at the pictures I wish I would've had something better.

I also wish I would've made sure the photographer had gotten certain pictures that I wanted. There were no pics of our son/ringbearer with the groom and he was not in any pics with the guys at all. We also forgot to get pics of my husband with the cheese fountain and we didn't get any cool pics of the bouquets. These are things that I should've thought of but the day was such a whirlwind and didn't think about it. I would make sure that you let your photographer know exactly what pictures you want so there is no mistake. Oh, I also would've had someone videotape it all.

I think that covers most of things that I would change if I could do it again. But in the long run it wasn't that big of a deal. We are happily married and enjoying our life.

No comments: